Sunday, August 28, 2011

Still to Life: Storyboards

I'm going to cop to it right now. I have only the most basic understanding of how storyboarding works. I'm trying to learn that right now, and I've found some useful stuff in my journeys I thought I would share.

Karen J. Lloyd is a professional storyboard artist who runs an awesome blog about the art form. She also offers a very swanky set of storyboard templates in a variety of aspect ratios that you can download for free. All you have to do is sign up for her mailing list.

Here's the link to her blog: Karen J. Lloyd's Storyboard Templates

There's aslo a great book I've owned for years that examines all aspects of visual storytelling. This is a book I've used constantly and highly recommend to everyone looking to make a movie that hasn't attended film school. In addition to all its useful information in regards to different types of shots and staging, there's a large chapter about storyboarding. It even includes complete storyboards for an unused opening to Blade Runner, which is really cool if you're a fan.

Here's a direct link to that: Film Directing Shot by Shot: Visualizing from Concept to Screen (Michael Wiese Productions)

I hope this helps. I'll continue to update on storyboards as I get better at it. The final draft of the script will be done for the 15th of September, and after it gets copyrighted I'll start talking a bit more about the specifics of Admirer.

Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment